If you’re looking for a simple but fun dessert, look no further than these Worms and Dirt pudding cups!
Worms and Dirt are layered desserts with chocolate pudding (or custard), topped with crushed Oreos and gummy worms.
They’re super easy for kids to make and eating worms and dirt sounds pretty funny, right?
Worms and Dirt Ideas
Even though this Worms and Dirt has two chocolate layers, you can have fun with this recipe and adapt it in a bunch of ways!
Worms and Dirt at Disney World
I first came across this chocolate pudding at Everything POP in Pop Century. It’s one of the cheapest desserts in the food court and I’ve seen it in a few of the other resort’s quick-service restaurants too!
Over the years, Disney World has done a few variations on this worms and dirt idea with a worms and dirt cupcake to celebrate Earth Week at Hollywood Studios and an Oogie Boogie worms and dirt cake at Halloween.
I tried it on my very first trip to Disney World, so I had to recreate it and bring back those Pop Century snacking memories!
What’s great about Worms and Dirt is you only need three ingredients.
- Chocolate pudding/chocolate custard. You can use a homemade recipe but pudding cups, instant pudding or a tin of custard works just as well!
- Oreos for the crumbly dirt (you could also use any similar cookie).
- Gummy worms for the top.
You will also need some clear dessert cups. I reused some plastic containers to recreate the Pop Century vibe!
Worms and Dirt Recipe
1. Make your chocolate pudding.
Follow the instructions to make your chocolate pudding or custard. If you’re using ready-made, you can skip this step!
2. Crush your Oreos!
Now you need to make the dirt! Remove the fondant from each Oreo and place the cookies in a ziplock bag.
I used two Oreos per cup but you may want more or less depending on how thick you want your top layer of dirt.
Next, use a rolling pin to crush the Oreos – you can make it as fine or coarse as you like.
You can also use a food processor to crush your Oreos if you prefer!
3. Build your worms and dirt desserts.
Add your chocolate pudding or custard to your dessert cups. When filling the cups, leave enough room at the top for your crushed Oreos and worms.
Next, add the dirt. You can make your Oreo layer as thick as you like, but you want it to be thick enough that you can see it from the side of your cups to get that layer effect.
Lastly, top off the desserts with your gummy worms. You can be creative with your worm placement! Place them on top or stick them into the dirt halfway.
And that’s it! Super easy!
- Chocolate pudding or chocolate custard.
- Oreos (or similar cookies).
- Gummy worms.
- Prepare your chocolate pudding or chocolate custard according to instructions.
- Remove the fondant from the Oreos or sandwich biscuits and discard. Place the cookies into a sealable bag and crush them using a rolling pin. If you prefer, you can use a food processor to create your Oreo crumb.
- Place the chocolate pudding or custard into your dessert cups. Make sure to leave enough room at the top for your Oreo layer.
- Add the crushed Oreos or cookies on top of your pudding creating an even layer.
- Top with gummy worms.
Have you seen Worms at Dirt at Disney? Let me know in the comments! I’d also love to know if you made your own!
Lindsey is the creator and writer for Mouse Trip Magic. When she’s not walking down Main Street, she likes to bring the Disney magic home with Disney movies, fun recipes and cute Disney finds. Her love of storytelling and cinematography led her to pursue a degree in film and media, which means she loves to research and take a deep dive into all things Disney!